Follow Me!

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Topsy Turvy


I said upside down your turning me...

To tidy things up, we need to turn them upside down.

I really loved my Grandma's house when she was in her glory.

Not only did Grandma's smoking destroy her body, it destroyed her hobby.
Now if her doctor would have told her 'Mrs. Holmes, even though you are sneaking outside to smoke, somehow that smoke is getting into your home and will cause long term, catastrophic damage to your miniatures' she would have stopped immediately.  OK, maybe not. But if she would have known she was missing out watching her 3 great-grandsons grow up, and meeting her great-grand daughter that shares her name, she would of thought twice. 
BAH - enough of that!

Anyway - the smoke damage is ultimately why Grandma's house is going through an ongoing makeover.  

I flipped the house upside down to paint the ceilings.  I actually found that using ceiling paint for a ceiling in a dollhouse is awesome.  



It was easier to reach to wallpaper the living room with the house still upside down.

Also the light dried easier this way.
Yes, lights. People glass over when you talk about miniatures, but if you mention that the house has electrical,...well, it is no longer a toy, but a hobby.
(so we claim)


Believe it or not, I still have the transformer that was used for the Glenwood.

Instead of having a lead wire and junction splice, why couldn't the lights all just be hooked up to the transformer? (seriously - I am asking) I plan on having Grandma's dollhouse on a timer to turn the lights on every evening automatically.




Grandma's house has a false back, so I can easily run the wire to the back and hide the transformer.
The wire should reach, and if not I can pick up some wire to extend it.



Now that the paper is up, I can glue the moose head on the wall.
Whoops - wrong side.




From the pictures above, you can tell the bottom is not finished off. 
This time, I laid the house on her back to use the contact paper to wrap the bottom.
Glue was helpful.


Still lots of work to do, but the house should be able to stay upright.


Living room is presentable. Crown moldings and trim can be done later. I need an accessory to set on floor to hide where the carpet is missing. Brief case maybe?



 So far, so good. I made a throw from some material Keli gave me about 5 years ago.
She lives so close - not sure why we don't get together more often.


My full scale Rotty with my half scale Rotty.
I think I am going to keep them here.




Flashback - Grandma's house a few weeks ago.

That gawd awful pink has to go!

This paper was sent to me as an error. I wanted to get paper for my Dad's room box.
After looking at this one in person, I decided just to keep it and order Dad's paper when I am able to work on his room.
Can you see a difference?




The afghan is one that Grandma made. I also have one for my real life bed.
In order for it to lay nicely, I cut the blanket it half.
Now there are two!

Almost forgot to do the attic wall.


Can't seam to part with the bear rug - another mini that was my Grandma's 
The attic makes a nice home. 

Carpeted 2 other bedrooms.
Eventually that green will go.



Found a little bear in my bin of goodies.
Not sure where he came from, but I know where he is going!


Just need to give him eyes and clean his ears.


I noticed the destroyed wallpaper when I loaded my pictures. 

Nothing a house can't hide!


Sloppily added garland to the half scale Victorianna.


Koda bought this clock when we were up north. I do like it, but it seems to have an antique look that I could do without.

Starting to brighten up some of the paint.
Worked on the blue in the sailboat. 
Can you tell? Besides the change in time, I can't tell...
yet.



This is my Otterbox.
Pretty boring, huh?


Keli gave me this wallpaper the last time I saw her. My Grandma had this same paper in her dollhouse.




Not to shabby, huh?











4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this. I know now there is no getting around it. I am going to have to empty my houses to make the changes etc. I need to make. I like EVERYthing about the house, especially the way it is square and on wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of progress! Your grandma's house is looking so lovely, she would have been pleased I am sure. That pink was pretty horrifying! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress!

    LOL For some reason when it was upside down that made perfect sense to me. After all, how else would you get the lights and ceiling glued on.

    But when you turned it on its side that just makes me blink and try to make sense of the picture for five minutes while I try to figure out what happened.

    I think I have a problem with my brain being missing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making great progress! I love the detail paint on the bear -- made him come alive! I don't know if it would "fix" the antique look of the clock but would changing the fancy "hands" of the clock to be straight arrows help it look more contemporary? Or is it just the dull paint that makes you feel like it's antique?

    ReplyDelete